Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Ten Year Plaque!


Like most major milestones of my life, it's a time of reflection.

I was hired by StatSoft in April, 2006. I was so nervous for the interview and so thrilled to get the call late on a Friday afternoon that I had been offered a position.  Statistics + software + getting paid = My dream job.  It has been challenging, fun, and almost never boring.

Dell acquired StatSoft in 2014, and happily they credited us with our years of service from StatSoft for purposes of vacation time and apparently nifty plaques.

In the words of President Bartlet, "What's next?" Well, I'm glad you asked.

  • Stay up to date with current trends and conversations in the software industry
  • Advocate within the organization and to anyone else who will listen about software quality and strategies for achieving and maintaining quality. 
  • Become proficient in Python 
  • Read, read, read.  Become knowledgeable enough to have opinions and to back them up with data or examples. 
  • Be proactive.  Speak up to make sure stakeholders know the relevant bits of information and my overall assessment of the status of product.  When important conversations about the product are being held, making sure I'm in the room so that I have all the information I need to make good decisions about where to focus my time. 
  • Attend a software testing conference.  It will never be convenient to miss work or to be out of town, but short-term sacrifices are sometimes needed for long-term growth. 


No comments:

Post a Comment